Friday, June 13, 2014

Drapery Studies

I have found drapery studies to be an invaluable tool for myself and my students to understand form and of course, wrinkles.  These are from my sketchbook which I always have a hard time photographing, but hopefully you can see them well enough.  I like to drape the fabric over other objects to practice portraying the underlying form with the wrinkles.

Drapery Study 1, Jaime Cooper

Both of these studies were done in graphite.  I left the study below partially unfinished so my students can see a bit of the process.  First I block in the form and do a rough shade in to map out the values (lower left corner).  I then do another pass or layer where I start refining the shading using very sharp pencils and cross hatching (visible in the left middle of the drawing).  I then do a final pass where I further refine the shading with crosshatching (right side of the drawing).


Drapery Study 2, Jaime Cooper


No comments:

Post a Comment