Saturday, June 21, 2014

Treatise on White

So many white oils paints to choose from:  lead or flake white, titanium white, zinc white, soft mixing white?  When do I use which?

I started out using titanium white oil paint when I was teaching myself to paint.  I found that I was getting lovely zombie people in my portraits.  I couldn't figure out the problem until I read one of the books in my art library which suggested flake white.  I gave it a go, and I instantly had more success.  I figured out by comparing the two that titanium is more opaque, stiffer, and more aggressive than flake white.  Through more experimentation I decided to use just flake white for all my mixing, and reserve titanium white for final highlights and impasto touches, or if I needed to add more body to a color.  I soon found that flake white was getting more expensive and harder to find, and was maybe not as archival.  So I tried zinc white and found its working properties similar enough to the flake white to make the switch.

Now I have enough experience under my belt and enough knowledge of color that I could make a painting work with just titanium white.  When I was just starting though it was much harder for me to control.  For that reason I always recommend to my students to start with zinc white, or at the very least "soft mixing" white, which is a blend of zinc and titanium white.  They all find this much easier to work with.  I then introduce titanium white into their palette for those bright impasto highlights or when more body may be needed in a specific color mix.

When buying tubes of white, I buy a couple of large tubes of zinc white at a time.  I have only ever purchased one large tube of titanium white and I am still working my way through it.  For hobbyist painters a small tube of titanium white would be sufficient.

Winsor & Newton Artists Oil Color Paint, 200ml Tube, Zinc White

Winsor & Newton Artists Oil Color Paint Tube, 37ml, Titanium White

No comments:

Post a Comment