Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Impasto

Yesterday I talked about Delacroix's use of red.  This reminded me of a similarity that I was struck by when I viewed his work in person.  I have been talking to my students recently about the use of impasto. When I saw Delacroix's work I was fascinated by his use of it.  It created movement and vibration which I don't think is possible to attain by other means.  It also reminded me of Steve Huston's work which I was fortunate enough to be able to see at the Eleanor Ettinger Gallery in New York. 

Straight Shot, Steve Huston, copyright Steve Huston 2014

See all those little motion and speed lines?  Look at how much movement and excitement that creates.  It looks like they are actually moving.  Compare that to this piece by George Bellows:


George Bellows Boxers

There is still a lot of excitement and dynamism, but it looks like a still frame from a movie.  It looks like the figures were captured and frozen.  Steve Huston's work looks like they are actually continuing their motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment